Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Great Heights Week - Tallest Man


And I thought I stood out like a sore thumb in high school! (I’m 5'10"ish)


My children and I were captivated when we recently read about the tallest man ever in Jennifer Phillips’ book, Robert Wadlow: The Unique Life of the Boy Who Became the World’s Tallest Man. He was the size of an adult by age five and eventually grew to the incredible height of 8'11.1"! You’ll learn of the accommodations he had to make, that an overactive pituitary gland caused his condition and to see Robert, not as an oddity, but as a person—and a likable one at that. A discussion about fitting in with one’s peers would complement this story nicely.

Besides fascinating photographs, the author also includes a fact page, a timeline and thoughtful questions to explore as well as suggested activities.

Ages 9-12
◊◊◊◊

A review of Stand Straight Ella Kate caught my eye over at the Palnetsme Plan blog recently. This looks like a great choice for all of us tall girls.
Activity: Print out Robert Wadlow’s shoe print and compare it to your own foot size.

No comments:

Post a Comment