Wednesday, January 13, 2010

He Had a Dream


I’ve been reading a few Martin Luther King, Jr. books this week. What’s unique about March On!: The Day My Brother Martin Changed The World, besides the fact it's written by King’s sister, Christine, is that it focuses on the events of one day – August 28, 1963. That was the day of the March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom, a pivotal day for the Civil Rights Movement. While other books bring up “whites only” drinking fountains, bus boycotts, school segregation and King’s assassination, March On! sticks to a hot summer day at the National Mall and the words that moved a nation.

Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech is, without a doubt, one of history's most influential. That got me thinking about speeches. What are the standout speeches of all time? Think about it a minute and then compare what you come up with to Time’s list of top 10 speeches.

Ages 9-12
◊◊◊◊

Activity: How well do you know the “I Have a Dream” speech? Can you fill in the blanks with the correct missing words?




1 comment:

  1. I like your post on MLK and I love your blog! I too have had a renewed interest in History since starting to homeschool our son.
    Thanks for the resource on the speech Challenge! I posted on my blog a link to your blog as well. Thanks for the information.
    Blessings!
    Lyn @ Southern Homeschool Journey
    http://southernhomeschool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete